Use the Tab and Up, Down arrow keys to select menu items.
Scarcity, exchange and trade. Market analysis and policy. Consumer choice theory. Theory of the firm. Imperfect competition. Externalities and public goods.
ECON104 is a 15 point course which can contribute towards the main schedules of the Arts, Science or Commerce degrees. It is designed to provide you with the platform for further successful study in the discipline, but students who stop their formal economics education at the end of ECON104 will still have been exposed to the invaluable analytical skills that the course promotes. This course attempts to answer real world questions that will interest all students, regardless of their intentions.
The objectives of the course are to:1. Develop economically literate citizens.2. Provide students with experience in basic economic methodology and analysis.3. Introduce students to the process of economic reasoning.4. Enhance students’ ability to critically interpret the economic ‘wisdom’ of the popular media.5. Provide preparation for further study in the subject (specifically with reference to courses atCanterbury).
Students must attend one activity from each section.
To get a pass which allows you to go on to 200 level economics (C- or better) you must:1. get 50% or more in the course overall AND you must pass the final exam with 45% or betterOR2. get 50% or more in the course overall AND at least 31.5 out of the 70% in the test and examcombined (the test is worth 25% and the exam 45% for a total of 70%).Getting 50% or higher in the course overall but failing to meet either of these conditions will result in an R grade being awarded.An R grade will also be awarded should you score between 45% and 50% in the course overall.Assessment in Te Reo MāoriIn recognising that Te Reo Māori is an official language of New Zealand, the University provides for students who may wish to use Te Reo Māori in their assessment. If you intend to submit your work in Te Reo Māori you are required to do the following:Read the Assessment in Te Reo Māori Policy and ensure that you meet the conditions set out in the policy. This includes, but is not limited to, informing the Course Coordinator 1) no later than 10 working days after the commencement of the course that you wish to use Te Reo Māori and 2) at least 15 working days before each assessment due date that you wish to use Te Reo Māori.
Parkin, M., & Bade, R;
Domestic fee $893.00
International fee $4,200.00
* All fees are inclusive of NZ GST or any equivalent overseas tax, and do not include any programme level discount or additional course-related expenses.
For further information see
Department of Economics and Finance